The outdoor museum at the Scheveningen pier and boardwalk

The pier and boardwalk in The Hague, Den Haag, is a little, very little, like the Santa Monica pier and Venice boardwalk with a bunch of shops and restaurants but with the awesome exception of the Fairytale Sculptures by the Sea.  These giant bronze sculptures each describe a fairytale and are part of an outdoor sculpture garden that is indestructible and just a lot of fun to touch, climb and pose with.

The Scheveningen beach is a super popular summer spot that gets absolutely packed with beach goers on hot sunny days.  I wanted to have a calm and relaxed day and I did not want to endure hoards of traffic and parking issues so I decided to hit the beach on a gloomy day.  Perfect plan. 10am morning parking was a breeze and the boardwalk was a pleasant stroll.  As the day progressed it got sunnier and warmer.  After grabbing some lunch and heading to the parking lot, I could see many more people arriving and the super long line snaking around the block from the parking structure.  Good thing I was on my way out. 

These two sculptures were a couple of my favorites.

^ Describes me relaxing while looking at statues on the boardwalk

^ Describes me after seeing the traffic and crowds

Comments

Popular Posts