Stamp making


I am planning on making a few Christmas gifts for friends this year but I wanted a label to attach to the gifts. I considered placing an order but that required a 500-1000 label minimum. I might need 10, max. I might change my mind about the design later and do not want to end up with 990 useless labels.

I went to the art store and bought a cutting tool and rubber pad to carve out my own stamp. It was fun, super simple and totally practical.

Fill in your drawing with pencil. Place it facing the rubber, hold it firmly, and rub the backside of the paper with your fingernail or anything else that is flat and firm (maybe a spoon). Remove the paper and avoid touching or smearing the pencil markings with your fingers. Then start cutting away at the unmarked rubber with a sharp blade. Use an ink pad to test it out and see if you need to make any fine adjustments.

I did not need the cutting tool at all, just a pointy X-acto knife. I have only tested the stamp on paper and have yet to see how it looks on fabric or plastic but I like the results so far.

This was the first stamp I have ever made. Everyone I ask about this says they made stamps in grade school out of potatoes or lino but I guess I only made stencils and finger paint art. I still have plenty of rubber to work with so I will try making more stamps.

Comments

Popular Posts