Removing Rust




I love riding my bike. But I have neglected it for several years! Don't ask me why. I used to ride my bike to work, class and the grocery store. But one day, I parked my bike outside and did not touch it again... and the rain and dirt took their toll. Last year I used steel wool to get rid of the rust and it worked but it scratched up the chrome fenders and I could see that some of the chrome had been worn off from scrubbing too hard. After a year, the metal fenders were rusty again.

I decided to attack the rust with a simple solution: aluminum paper and water. I poured some water on the metal and started rubbing with the shiny side of the aluminum paper. No soap. No cleanser. No anti-rust-removing chemical. Just water and basic kitchen aluminum paper.

I still have to clean up the bike chain and wash & wax the bike to shine it up but I am really happy with the results so far.

Comments

Popular Posts